Cocktail is defined as -
an alcoholic drink consisting of a spirit or several spirits mixed with other ingredients, such as fruit juice, lemonade, or cream.
Undoubtedly a classic drink.
Now, I believe cocktail making is an art - it requires tons of experience, precision and creativity to make a good cocktail and in my opinion - only experts can make great cocktails.
I've been lucky enough to drink some great cocktails here in San Francisco, so this post is dedicated to five places where I had one or more of what I call great cocktails. Let's get started:
- Joey's/SRO/Oddjob: Joey's is NOT the name of this place, but really that's what it should be called. If you want to have the best drinks in the world - go see Joey. You won't be disappointed. If you haven't figured it out yet, Joey is the name of the bartender who serves drinks at SRO (which is a small cozy bar inside of Oddjob). The best part about having drinks with Joey - there is no menu. You just tell him what you feel like - your mood, taste, preference, likes, dislikes or really anything you want - and he'll make a drink for you. I've been to many bars in many cities, but no other drink has impressed me as much. I cannot recommend this enough.
- Wilson & Wilson private detective agency: Like me, if you read too many detective novels as a kid - you will enjoy the ambience of this place. You actually need to give a secret word (that is shared with you when you make a reservation) to enter this place. The drinks are really good and match up to the atmosphere. There are multiple bars within the same place, so it all feels like a maze with the dark lighting. Be prepared for a unique, one-of-a-kind experience.
- Tradition: As the name suggests, this one is a traditional American cocktail bar. Drinks here run on the harder and stronger side, and the menu seemed to be get shorter than it was earlier. Still, the drinks are fairly good - and the ambience is cozy for a couple or a small group. I'd say this is one of the better places to grab drinks on a weekday after work.
- Local Edition: This was one of the first bars I visited when I arrived to San Francisco, and I remember being very curious about the ambience. The place was filled with old newspaper prints, with even the menu designed in that fashion. Anyway, the menu isn't huge but the drinks are super cool - you can pick a drink that is light or strong. I've been here quite a few times - and have never had a bad drink - so I have no hesitation recommending it.
- Two sisters bar and books: This is a very small place, so be prepared to stand if you come at a crowded hour. This is a new find for me, I've been here only once - but the drinks I've had here rank second probably only to Joey's. With a cutesy ambience and unique, flavorful drinks - this place is a must visit for anyone who enjoys a good drink.
If you know of any other great cocktail places - do let me know, I'd love to try them out for myself.
Subscribe to Vizag Girl
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox